[pure-silver] Re: Hardening fixer for film

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:32:08 +0200

Dear Richard,

hmm, I always thought that Sistan was only the stabiliser and I still need the AGEPON as a wetting agent? I do not put the hardener in the fixer. I do not use a special "hardening fixer", just normal AGEFIX. HEnce I got the extra hardener by Tetenal and stick it into the last bath. I thought that in the last bath w/ the AGEPON it will not get washed out but

And I also thought that the Sistan would react with the silver to create a more stable compund and hence it does not matter if the "unused" Sistan is washed out? Like the fixer?

Sorry, if I sound naive, I am not a chemist, Ryuji or Richard isn´t even my middle name :-)

So if I am doing something wrong, please let me know? However my negs seem fine? Even the really ancient ones (about 30 yrs old now, I just found a lost batch of them).

Love
Snoopy

At 10:36 16.04.2007, you wrote:

Do you use a hardening fixer? The problem with the above is that you are probably washing out the Sistan. Sistan consists of a wetting agent and the stabilizer, its meant to be the last bath before drying.