[pure-silver] Filter advice?

  • From: "Len Eselson" <leneselson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:03:12 -0500

Hello folks.
I am just getting into large format (4X5) and shoot
B&W exclusively. To date I have acquired 4 lenses
ranging from 90 to 300 mm, and of course they all
need differant filter sizes. Most of my shooting is outdoors.

I have never been a large user of filters, however I feel I
need to have them on hand should the opportunity present itself..

I would like not to degrade the lenses I have acquired, and
also to keep the costs reasonable. My choices at this point
a: Cokin P system starting with their BW Kit, and a polarizer
b. Lee 4X4 resin filters
c. Lee Snap on rubber band gizmo with their gel set.
d. Conventional glass filters, of a size to fit the largest lens (72mm) and
adapters for the other lenses.

A set of filters for each lens is not desireable, both from a cost and
carrying limitations

Item C. is by far the lowest in cost US$60+ and appears to sove the
problem but just seems to gimicky?

Comments on these alternatives or other suggestions welcome.

Len Eselson