[pure-silver] Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:19:30 +0200

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:36:03 -0500, pdesmidt tds.net wrote

"I agree with those who say "So What." I use both. Each excels in certain
areas, and some of the fears about the loss of digital files are ungrounded. "

They are completely grounded.. in fact.. I'd say we've been playing them down
by looking at a more educated and computer savvy sub-group. Looking at the
"big picture" the situation is much much worse!

"For instance, I have writable cds that are 10 years old, and they are
readable just fine. If you look into this, you'll see that some brands of cds
are much"

What can I say but "Mazel Tov". Most of us have at one time or another
developed film that exposed and left in the camera for more that that 10
years.. Sure the camera was not opened and exposed to light.. and that's part
of the issue with writable CDs.. The dyes used in CDs age quite quickly under
UV light. They are about as stable as colour photographs from the early
1960s.. but worse.. those photographs just have "strange" colours.. the CDs
when they degrade become unreadable..

"more reliable than others. Additionally, the costs of redundant hard drives
and online storage have come down enough that they're very viable options. "

And when a controller blows and knocks out all the drives? And yes I've
experienced it.. and I know of many others that have had it happen.. Redundant
hard drives is clearly NOT the answer!

Distributed online storage such as Amazon's S3 and some other "clouds" are not
bad but cost around 15 cents per GB/month. I'm not sure that many people are
prepared to spend upwards of $150 USD per year to store snapshots of their
kids.. and one has no idea how the service may develop or even continue in the
future..

"Currently, I use the latter two, as cds and dvds require too much time to
burn, at least for me."

As long as it works.. its works OK... and when it fails and everything on your
disk gets zapped? If you lucky you can send the disks off to some far away
place and have someone try to collect bits still readable on the little
disks.. Costs many 1000s of USD and if your lucky they can find some stuff..
And yes.. I know and work with institutions that have had this happen.. and
did little dances of joy when things were recovered..

"As someone else has said. Use what you like. Look into storage/permanence
issues, whether with film, prints or digital files, and do what makes sense
for you. Why waste time trying to convince others that you're tools are the
best tools?"

These are burning issues of concern to most national archives.. And none of us
have any solutions yet.. Now if places like LOC with the manpower, technical
resources and budget available to them have trouble..

Right now we're losing the battle.. and much of "culture" and digital
"artifacts" being created won't survive.

--

 Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB