[pure-silver] Re: Ebay

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:26:51 -0500

On 24/12/06, Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Recently, I sold some nice lenses on Ebay.  I hadn't sold anything for
awhile, and things have changed for the worse. First off, I received a
number of phishing (right term?) emails saying that someone had listed
the exact same item as I had, and I'd better do something about it.  The
links in the email, though, were fake.  Luckily, my browser identified
this for me.  Second, buyers apparently can't read very well. "The
*only* forms of payment accepted are..."  Third, I received a fair
amount of spam, even in my Ebay message center.  So, please be careful
out there.  And have a Merry Christmas!

  Not sure if the phising and scammers came about because you had recently
sold some items.. You would probably have gotten those anyhow.. Firefox
browser of course is your friend.

  But yes, I to recently sold some stuff on Ebay and I can't believe what
some people try to pull off. I was selling guitar related equipment and
either there is a higher percentage of crooks who are musicians then photogs
or Ebay has really taken a turn for the worse. I had so many requests of
people looking to purchase OUTSIDE of ebay.. A true sign of a scam.

  The other recent trick are sales on ebay with people who have excellent
ratings but who are selling items with 1 or 3 days auctions at super low
prices. These are people with hijacked accounts. Best way to detect this is
if the scammer only accepts email to another address and not the one listed
with their ebay account..

  I tell ya, I work in IT and often deal with security people at banks and
insurance companies, and you would not believe the measures they have to
take.. Get ready for 2nd factor authentication.. a system that detects when
and where you normally log in from and if this differs from the norm, you
will be prompted to enter answers to questions you had previously entered
answers for.. Third factor security is not far behind (bio-metric).. My
girlfriend recently received a low end laptop from her office and it already
had a finger print reader built in..

   But Ebay is going to have to implement more measure soon because if you
ask me, it's riskier now then ever.

   Merry Christmas everyone.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx