[pure-silver] Re: Durst L1200 (condensor) & uneven illumination

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:13:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georges Giralt" <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:48 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Durst L1200 (condensor) & uneven illumination

Hi !
So, as Cor asked, I've made some more experiments.
I tried to measure light evenness on my Laborator 1000 baseplate without lens but, even at the highest column position, the Analyser Pro keep
Measurements without the lens are meaningless. The condenser is supposed to concentrate the light at the entrance pupil of the enlarging lens. Even when the light source is partly diffuse, as it is in most condenser enlargers, the focus of the condensers must approximate this for good uniformity. The condensers and light source should be such as to completely fill the entrance pupil. That is, the condensers should not vignette the source. Virtually all lenses have some vignetting due to the lens mount. This vignetting is usually gone when the lens is stopped down beyond about two stops. One can seen it visually by looking back through the lens from the focal plane. The reason that some lenses have oversize outer elements is to avoid this mechanical vignetting as much as possible. The light fall off of lenses comes from several sources. One is the vignetting of the aperture. This can be seen from either side of the lens when looking at it from an angle. The iris becomes cat's eye shaped. Another reason is the inverse square law, simply the distance from the exit pupil to the focal plane becomes longer as the point of interest moves from the optical axis of the lens. Another reason has to do with the magnification necessary to produce an rectilinear image. In a standard lens the fall off is proportional to cos^4 theta where theta is the half-angle, or the angular distance from the optical axis to the point of interest. By modifying the lens to introduce coma into the pupils its possible to eliminate one term and reduce the fall off to cos^3 theta. This is what is done in the Roosinov lens AKA tilting entrance pupil lenses. You can see this effect by looking at the iris of such a lens while tilting it. The iris appears to follow you and actually becomes larger as you tilt the lens. A lens which is not required to be rectilinear can have even less fall-off. For instance fish eye lenses, which have substantial pincushion distortion, can have nearly uniform illumination. In fact, its possible to design a lens where the illumination actually increases from center to edge. By tapering the illumination provided by a condenser or diffusion system the fall off can be partially or completely corrected. I have not seen a condenser system in an enlarger which provides for this but the use of tapered diffusers in diffusion enlargers is old art. An example is the old Elwood enlarger, many of which were equipped with an equalizing diffuser consisting of a glass plate which was heavily sand-blasted in the center with the amount of blasting falling off to a nearly clear circle at the margins and corners. Of course, one could also introduce a center filter arrangement into the condenser system, but again, I've never seen one applied to a practical enlarger. I believe, but am not certain, that it may be possible to obtain this kind of effect by using non-spherical condenser lenses. Such lenses are common in slide and motion picture projectors.

---