[pure-silver] Re: Dodging Tools

  • From: Adrienne Moumin <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:42:14 -0500

It was fun reading everyone's comments & experiences about this subject.

I do indeed plan to do a lesson on constructing dodging & burning tools, I have
gone to the art store for armature wire for sculpture (easier to cut lengths of
than coat hanger wire, due to my carpal tunnel issues!) tape, etc.  And of
course I will tell them about why we are doing this in the context of the
history of photography and where it is now...........

It just makes me sad that we are falling so far out of the mainstream that one
can no longer even buy this piece of equipment.  I think this is compounded by
the fact that I came to photography relatively late in my life, due not to lack
of interest or exposure, but lack of opportunity.

I have been teaching a couple of the more advanced students the "shadow puppet"
technique on certain negs.

In general I haven't had problems w/my coat hanger dodging tool leaving
"shadows" from the stem, except on one particular image awhile back which had a
small round area, and I just couldn't reach it from any other angle except one.
 I think I must've made 10 or more prints just to get one good one, (dodged
just the right amount AND with no stem shadow) and I could never replicate that
perfect dodge again.  Someday I hope I can have the luxury of taking classes
from a master who can help me learn how to make such things easier.

Adrienne Moumin***************************************on the web at:
http://www.picturexhibit.comSaatchi Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3Art DC: