[pure-silver] Re: Direct reversal process

  • From: "Clifford Brown" <clip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:52:38 -0000

Direct reversal of B&W film is not new. I did this back in the 60s and 70s, using the Arneleon 1 formula, quoted in The British Journal of Photography Almanac 1961. If you can develop a B&W film normally, you will find the process fairly straightforward. My favorite films for the process was Adox14 and PanF 35mm films: both thin emulsion films. 120 film 5x4 or whatever, can be processed in the same way using Arneleon 11, which is designed for double emulsion films. The bleach used in the Arneleon system is made up with potassium dichromate, as opposed to the potassium permanganate in the Ilford formula, and a 10% hypo solution is added to the first developer to control the highlights. The Ilford system is simpler to make up and probably works as well. See the PDF http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20061291034093.pdf A Google search found this link, http://www.angelfire.com/wi/spqrspqr/photo/bwreversal.html Excellent transparencies, having a long tonal range can be obtained using a direct reversal process, 128 to 1 being claimed in the BJP Almanac for the Arneleon.

HTH
Clifford
Somerset UK.

----- Original Message ----- From: "shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>