[pure-silver] Re: Developing Plus-X in Rodinal 1+100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:37 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Developing Plus-X in Rodinal 1+100

Hi,

I'm planning on shooting some 120 Plus-X at the rated 125 iso and I want to develop it in Rodinal 1+100. I checked the Massive development Chart and it gives 6 min for Rod 1+25 and 13 min for Rod 1+50. What would be the extrapolation for the time if I developed in Rod 1+100? I figure a ballpark time of around 18-19 minutes. Does somebody have a more precise time?

In passing, is 125 iso a good starting point or should I be shooting with a lower iso, say 64. Haven't used Plus-X since high school in the 60's, so I am unfamiliar with what I assume is an updated version of Plus-X or has it stayed essentially the same emulsion?

Any info about Plus-X would be appreciated, pros and cons.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Note that there were two versions of Plus-X until a couple of years ago. Both were available in 120 so some care must be excercized when looking at development recommendations other than Kodak's. The current 120 and 35mm Plus-X is the general purpose, medium toe, version. The sheet film and some 120 was a very long toe film, even longer than the current Tri-X sheet. Why do you want to use Rodinal at 1:100, usually its to get exagerated acutance effects or some compensation. There are better developers for Plus-X for normal tone rendition, probably Xtol is the optimum but you will get very good results in D-76 or any of the standard Ilford developers. The current Plus-X is very fine grain, nearly as fine as T-Max, with a slightly different curve. The speed, as always, depends on the contrast you are developing to. Kodak charts are based on a contrast index suitable for contact printing or diffusion enlarging. For condenser enlargers and printing on Grade-2 paper you will want about one paper grade lower contrast. That usually means reducing developing time about 25% and increasing exposure about 1/2 to 3/4 stop. Kodak has complete data booklets on-line. Although they have made finding film information a bit difficult its still there. I've found that their recommendations are usually reliable, but, of course, make some tests before shooting anything important. If you are stuck with Rodinal because nothing else is available I would recommend using it at 1:25 or 1:50 rather than more diluted. I've shot lots of Plus-X and just wish that it was availabe as sheet film (not the old long toe stuff). BTW, there is also a Plus-X motion picture negative stock. This is very good film. While the development recommendations are for Kodak's motion picture developer it works fine in D-76.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA