[pure-silver] Re: Delta 3200 Processing recs.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:56:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Purdy" <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:45 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Delta 3200 Processing recs.

I have an Ilford tech book on hand that says Delta 3200 actual speed is from 800 to 1000.
Dennis
On Sep 2, 2009, at 06:45, Shannon Stoney wrote:

My speed was always only 800 with DDX 1 + 4. I thought the amount of grain was pretty bad at long processing times like 15 minutes and 70 degrees farhenheit. Made people's faces look diseased!

--shannon

If measured using the ISO method both the Ilford and Kodak films will measure about 800. Both of these films are intended to be overdeveloped by normal standards and the speed is not the ISO speed. They are designed to be pushable without excessive fog. The ISO speed method develops the film to what is in effect a standard contrast index although its specified as a prescribed range of densities to be produced from a prescribed range of exposures. The maxium speed available from these films depends on the developer. The highest speeds are obtained from fairly active developers using Phenidone or one of its relatives, like Kodak Dimezone, as the principle agent. Such developers include Ilford Microphen and Kodak T-Max RS and Xtol. The films do not do well in concentrated developers like HC-110. I thought DD-X was similar to T-Max but evidently its not. Xtol will probably deliver as much speed as T-Max or Microphen but with less grain, at least at EI 3200.