[pure-silver] Re: Delta 3200 Processing recs.

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:46:17 -0700 (PDT)

Heh, good thing I don't always rely on memory when it comes to critical things
like developers and dev. times!  I see here that at 20° Perceptol and Microdol
are the same times.  Thanks for the recommendations.

My Ilford pdf's have all the times I need.  Since this is a film that rarely
comes through here, it was a case where opinions matter.

> Thanks guys for all the answers.  I mentioned Pyrocat and PMK mostly to show
> that I do keep some variety around here, but since I didn't shoot this film,
> I have no idea if those 2 would be appropriate for the images they contain.
> I did want to get an opinion though as to what in others' experiences were
> and what has worked for them and it's interesting Pyrocat and PMK were both
> recommendations.
> Personally I was hoping for T-max or D-76 since they're so easy to work with
> and both are always ready to go here. The recommended developers (by Ilford)
> are DDX and Microphen, neither of which I carry normally so other options
> were needed.  As I understand it, Microdol is similar w/Micophen, but no one
> nowadays wants the speed loss for the more commonly used films that come
> through here, despite the grain advantages so I don't keep it around unless
> it's asked for.

   Microphen is closer to T-Max in performance. It is a D-76 type developer
using Phenidone in place of Metol. Microdol-X is an extra-fine-grain developer,
its Ilford equivalent is Perceptol. These are not appropriate developers for
very high speed film since they loose speed. T-Max or T-Max RS is an excellent
pushing developer and will not create a shoulder. DD-X is probably similar to
T-Max but there is only MSDS information available about the two and its not
enough to analyse them. The T-Max developers produce somewhat coarser grain
than D-76 but also produce slightly higher speed. I've used T-Max RS quite a
bit in the past but have never used DD-X so can't testify about it. T-Max was
quite satisfactory. If you desire the highest speed from the film T-Max is the
right stuff to use. If its been shot at a moderate speed D-76 will work well.
Ilford should have on line data sheets for the film and usually gives
recommendations for Kodak as well as Ilford
 developers. Since these are someone else's films I would use a predictable and
reliable developer.