[pure-silver] Re: D2 filters update

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:08:21 -0800

I have examined this issue of filters before the image, and in front of the
lens, and I can’t say I have noticed any difference between prints caused by
the position of the filters. The filters I used in front of the lens were
clean no smudges or scratches, and little dust on the surfaces.
 I suspect this might have to do with the light that is passing through the
filter is not at a point of focus, and the property that light is a wave
form and has a tendency to distort when passing around small imperfections
in it’s path, of course this defined by the laws of diffraction that can be
studied according to the principles of quantum mechanics. While diffraction
always occurs when propagating waves encounter obstacles in their paths, its
effects are generally most pronounced for waves where the wavelength is on
the order of the size of the diffracting objects. The complex patterns
resulting from the intensity of a diffracted wave are a result of
interference between different parts of a wave that traveled to the observer
by different paths. Just think of the effect of the light traveling through
our negative. Now a really confused state! Luckily we have an enlarger lens
to organize this confusion, again defined by laws of diffraction. Now if you
have a gross scratch, or a grease smear on the filter all bets are off that
the light is going to be organized to our satisfaction but again maybe we
desire a softer focus.
 I did get different responses from the different filters when running
calibration tests; this was due to the different filter lots. Otherwise the
image quality was the same.
 I have noticed subtle differences between diffusion and condenser
enlargers. The dust problem is, some days more than not, a real problem and
diffusion enlargers do to some extent but not completely reduce the
appearance of dust and scratches. I did notice a big difference in the
calibration curves using filters with cold cathode verses incandescent light
sources. The cold cathode lamps produced smoother curves, otherwise the
grade number were similar.  This variation in curves when matched with the
variation in the film curves is interesting in the fact there are some real
winning combinations. Some might say that none of this is really that
important when one considers the problem, is the final image an image that
captures our attention and moves our emotions?
Bye, I got to back to solving the dust problem.
Jonathan [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
.
   _____