[pure-silver] Re: D2 filters update

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:34:15 -0800 (PST)

I may have a go of it, but we will see what happens.  Looks like it might have
a heat resistant glass, with the fan cooling, but that won't stop fading of
gels.  It will help, but not stop. Now if I could figure out a way to make the
modern filters work.  They will cost in all likelyhood as much as a new
enlarger with the more modern head.  Picking up one from someone going digital
shouldn't be that hard to do.  Considering my time, it is probably the right
thing to do.  Its just the cash that's the problem at the moment.  A color head
or VC head that will fit the D2 frame is a possibility, but the ideal situation
would be another D2 with a color head being dumped by someone going digital
that had the same frame so I would have a spare for parts if needed later.

Now I would disagree with you on the contrast filter below the lens not
affecting the image at all.  May not be significant, but that gel cost a
quarter or so maybe to make.  You don't spend hundreds and maybe thousands of
dollars for a camera lens to put a filter on the front that cost a quarter.
Moving that filter above the negative carrier keeps the image from being
projected through that 25 cent filter.  The light is modified before the image
is created so it can't be affected.

"Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: "Mark Blackwell"

> No one seems to have them.  I have only a couple of choices.

That was my memory of it.

> The next option I might try if I anyone has ever taken one of
> these beasts apart, is cutting my own.

At some time some pictures of a filter replacement job were on
the 'net.  I can't find them...

If the alternative is chuck the head and get a new one you
may as well take a crack at it.  Or give it to someone willing
to make a go of it.  The things are still worth money when in
good working condition.

> Still this seems more trouble than its worth

What's a replacement head cost, what's time worth?

> when the filters fade again its a do over.

Probably took 20 years to fade ... worry about it
again in 20 years.  Hi-temp filters with a thermal
blocking filter shouldn't have any problem with an
enlarger.

> makes the filter part of the image, and probably
> would degrade the image quality at least a bit.

No. It won't.  Not in the teeneest bit.  Not in the
slightest smidgen.

If you want to know what _will_ degrade your image it
is the response linearity (lack of) of the VC paper
that's being used with the filter.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC