[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Brown Bottles

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:46:58 -0500

harry kalish wrote:
> Aside from solutions containing silver, dichromate, and light-sensitive
> iron salts, do other darkroom chemical solutions benefit in any way from
> storage in brown bottles? Especially keeping in mind that darkrooms are
> normally dark, and are lit for short duration by relatively low wattage
> incandescent lamps.
>
> Thanks, Harry.

I would ask the question the other way. Are there any solutions that
benefit from storage in a different color, or clear bottle? I would not
think so, but there might be. I got most of my bottles for free from
chemists that worked near me at the same company. Almost all their stuff
came in 500ml and 4000 ml brown bottles with black Bakelite tops, so
that is what I used.

I did get one nitric acid bottle that was clear glass with a red plastic
top. I am currently using it for a 1% benzotriazole solution that has a
little cheap vodka in it. I do not think it needs the vodka anymore, but
I use it because it is too hard to make 1% solution with plain water.

I would use that bottle for stop bath solution, for example. Perhaps not
for SB-4, but I do not use that anymore as I do not really need a
hardening stop bath. I expect I do not need hardener in film fixer
either. I make F-6 fixer but put in only 1/2 the required amount of
alum. I am considering leaving it out entirely next time I mix up a batch.

 ^^-^^ 17:35:01 up 2 days, 1:01, 3 users, load average: 5.34, 5.42, 5.39