[pure-silver] Re: Blue Water

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

Adrienne

With 120 film, and sheet film, there is an extra
coating - called an 'Antihalation layer'  The purpose
(as I understand it) is that the light passes through
the emulsion, through the film base and then might
reflect off of the backing and cause a ghost image
from the back of the emulsion.

It is water soluable, so if you do a pre-rinse of your
film prior to developer, the rinse comes out a bluish
colour, if not, then the developer comes out blue.

I don't know why 35mm doesn't seem to have this, but I
am sure that we will be getting many replies.

BTW, I shoot mostly 4x5 with some 35mm mixed in, and
recently got a MF camera to play with too - I have
been spoiled by the LF and get frustrated with the
tiny 35mm negs in the darkroom, but still wanted
something that I could handhold and that would give me
a bit of DOF to work with.

--- Adrienne Moumin <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>