[pure-silver] Re: Archives?

  • From: Peter Badcock <tallowood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:41:59 +1000

> Peter... where do you stand w.r.t. putting the data from the archives into
> columns?

As I said in a prior post, just email me sample data you have for a
month and I'll check out the finer details of doing this.  To clarify
something - when you say 'columns', do you mean columns in a database,
a spreadsheet or an ASCII text file?  The last option is by far the
simplest for me.  I will be writing a program using a language called
LabVIEW to parse the data and extract it into the various columns.

> No one will have to own a copy of FM to run this application I can make
> it run stand-alone... Mac or PC. Are there any run-time license fees for
> people to use this on their own computer?

> Once the data is in columns there is almost nothing I can't do... what's most
> important, in my opinion is separating the
> replies from the quoted text... since that's the part that's most unwieldy in
> terms of readability and the biggest hindrance to usability.

You're probably right here.  Google does this superbly with their
latest newsgroup and gmail interfaces, although their algorithms are
certainly proprietary.  When I see the data, I'll assess what is
possible.

Don't forget to send me that file!

regards
Peter Badcock