[pure-silver] Re: Archives?

  • From: Peter Badcock <tallowood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:24:47 +1000

> I have the capability to create a run-time database that would work on PCs =
> and Macs... but my problem has been taking the back up copy of the database=
> and getting it to import into fields... anybody who can parse out the arch=
> ive so it can go into fields then I can create a searchable database that e=
> verybody can download.
>
> --Matt
Matt and others,

If it's plain text files, I can parse it any way you like.  Mind you,
I'd have to have a better look at the raw text to see how long it
would take me to write a program to do this. I can also write the
parsed data into a database (*.UDL file) file via Microsoft's ActiveX
Data Object (ADO) if necessary.

Having said this, I do wonder what would prove the most useful format
that is EASILY accessible by most of the folks interested in accessing
the information.   I would hesitate to say that enough folks wouldn't
have a database application installed on their computer to make use of
this option.

Another possibility includes placing the archived text files back onto
a web server so that they could be indexed by Google
(http://services.google.com/cobrand/free_trial).
Also see http://www.searchtools.com/tools/ for other search tools that
might do the trick too.
Ryuji proposed using Namazu to index them - not having used Namazu, I
wonder how easy it would be to integrate Namazu's output into the HTML
code. Since I'm not a web designer and I have had only a bit of
experience in designing a web site I wouldn't feel confident being
able to pull this off by myself.

regards
Peter Badcock