[pure-silver] Re: Archival methods (was Re: Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix)

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:37:45 +0200

Indeed - I have about 800 CDs and of those three ave started to get
"bit-decay".

You can see the coating flaking off INSIDE the CD. I always kept them
away from sunlight etc.

I am aware of diefferent processes: that's why I thoght the "pressed"
ones wold last longer as they are not chemically recorded but the pits
are actual physical dimples.

But then there were also some pens marketed for "Cd marking" whose ink
ate through the top protective layer and destroyed the coatng within.

Bad news.

Thats why a lot of archives now record digital data as dots on
microfiche...and store the films in huge salt stocks under Nitrogen etc.

Love,
Snoopy

--
"Ceterum censeo, digitalem esse delendam"