[pure-silver] Re: Archival methods (was Re: Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix)

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 11:03:10 -0500

On 6/2/2010 10:54 AM, Dana Myers wrote:
> On 6/2/2010 1:48 AM, Snoopy wrote:
>> Recently German TV showed a documentary about the Central Music Archives
>> in Berlin which has problems with storing music CDs etc. They report a
>> life span of about 5 years and copy everything all over the place to
>> make sure they do not lose things.
>>

> As an aside:
> That's hardly representative of the permanence of CDs.  I was a fairly
> early adopter
> of music CD in 1985, I have over 100 CDs that are well over 20 years old
> with no apparent deterioration.  I do nothing special to store them.
>
> With that said, relying on the integrity of a single piece of media for
> long-term retention is not a good idea - the ability to produce exact
> duplicates with no loss of quality is critical to a long-term archival
> strategy.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I too have 20+ yo CDs that are just fine.  However, and for the record,
it should be noted that factory produced music CDs use a somewhat different
process than the dye-based burn used on your PC.  I'm not suggesting one
is better than the other, merely that their archival behavior will be different
in all probability.