[pure-silver] Re: Agitation Plan for Nikor 4x5 Tank

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:57:01 -0800

If this is the round tank with a sort of semi-spiral cage to hold the film its agitated by inversion although you can also twist it. I found that I got more uniform development by agitating ten seconds every minute rather than five seconds every 30 seconds as with Nikor roll film tanks.
When I first started using Nikor roll film tanks I was taught a method of sort of twisting with a rolling motion, hard to describe. Later I went to the inversion method which is what Nikor advises. Not much difference. The sheet film tank produces quite uniform development with some care.
A caution: its important when loading to make sure the sheets are well into the slots and the spring keeper that runs around the center is on in the right direction and is locked firmly. If the spring is reversed so that the saw teeth face the wrong direction, the film can slip out at the edges. If film is not loaded carefully the sheets can stick together near their centers. Practice loading in the light with developed negatives or old fogged film.
Also, since filling and draining takes some time your idea of filling the tank and dropping the film is a good one. Actually, I do this with Nikor roll film tanks too.
Presoaking with plain water may help result in more uniform initial development when the tank is filled in the normal way. In general I find these tanks about the most satisfactory way to process sheet film.

On 2/11/2017 2:09 PM, Richard Lahrson wrote:

I just got a Nikor 4x5 tank in stainless steel that
holds 12 negs.  Checking the web history, results
seem to vary.  Anyone here use one?
The secret seems to be correct loading and
agitation plan.  I've got a lot of Panatomic-X aerial
to cut up and try for even development.
It would seem best to load up and drop the spiral
in the tank with developer.  I'm going to use
Rodinal at high dilution.  The tank doesn't leak so
the old inversion method works. Plus it's adjustable
for smaller size sheet film, even 2 1/4 x 3 1/4.
Thanks! Rich

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx