[pure-silver] Advice on first steps to making own fine grain compensating developer

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:06:30 +0000

For years I have used proprietary formula and have finally  decided to 'have
a go'.  I fancy making a developer like Perceptol, which I believe uses
Metol as the developer ingredient. In the past I have used Perceptol as an
effective means of reducing highlight density build-up, using high
dilutions.

I have the second edition of the darkroom cookbook and guess that D 23 seems
to be a reasonable starting point. I also noticed with interest that D76H
only differs by the reduction in Metol and the addition of Borax.

I have a general idea of the characteristics of different agents and
additives as well as the need of commercial companies to add further
ingredients to make their formula keep, transport and mix effectively. It is
a whole new world so I need to start with some sensible, practical
recommendations in the first place.

Specifically, I'm interested in other's comments on D-23 and how it differs
to Perceptol and possibly Microdol-X in both makeup and performance with
films such as TriX 320 and Neopan 400.

--
Regards Chris Woodhouse