[pure-silver] Re: AZO and Benzotriazole for anti-fogging

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:52:43 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] AZO and Benzotriazole for anti-fogging

Hello,

I want to do some contact printing using AZO paper that has been kept in a fridge for the past ten years. I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow. If there is fogging, how much benzotriazole should I add per liter of Dektol 1:2. The "Darkroom Cookbook" says that Benzotriazole does not dissolve readily in cold water. It says to dissolve in hot water ... 125°F/51.67°C or higher. Should I heat up the water before diluting the Dektol or can the Dektol dilute solution be heated up and then adding the Benzotriazole?

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Make up a solution of 1:200 (0.2%) Benzotrizole using hot water. Then use this as part of the water used to make up the working solution of Dektol. There is a chart in Grant Haist's book _Modern Photographic Processing_ but I don't know where my copy is. This book was originally published by John Wiley and sons but went out of print and was republished by the author. I don't know if Grant is still alive but he sold the books himself. Not cheap but about the same as current technical books of similar size. You may be able to find a copy throught your library or Amazon. Watch out for photocopies, Grant's republished edition was newley printed. Amazon has it listed at $125 which is a good price. Benzotriazole is difficult to dissolve in water but will dissolve in isopropyl alcohol. For as dilute a concentration as the above adding some rubbing alcohol to the water will help if the stuff is resistant. Haist is a much better source than Anchell.