[pure-silver] Re: A Walk Through the Exhibition

  • From: "Gregory Popovitch" <greg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:57:06 -0400

Richard wrote

> <snip>
> I must
> say that the very best reproductions of Ansel Adams images
> are often better than the originals and I have seen a great
> many original Adams prints.

I also have been very disappointed by the large (16x20 or larger)
prints made by Ansel later in his life. They often seemed to me
overly contrasty, going for the chock instead of the subtlety.
Indeed book reproductions or posters often look better than these.

By I also have seen (not often) some of his earlier 8x10 contact
prints which were among the most stunning prints I remember seeing.
But these are rarely shown in exhibits and museums.

gregory