[pure-silver] Re: 3200 Concert Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:00:09 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 4:56 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: 3200 Concert Film

<quote who=Jon Mided, date=[25/02/2006 6:53]/>
If you aren't experienced with shooting under these conditions, then the likelihood is that your film is just underexposed. Many people produce very thin negs when they first shoot a concert, so there is no reason to suppose that your Xtol isn't working. If the edge numbers aren't visible, then the development is certainly the problem, but otherwise its just your light meter being fooled by the brighter areas on the stage.

I'll know for sure when the colour negs come back. If they are thin, then it was a metering problem.

But when I say thin, I don't mean a little thin, I mean thin to the point where you have to literally strain your eyes to see any semblance of an image. If each frame had a bright light in it, then I could see where the meter was fooled. I metered in Matrix using an F5..

    The frame numbers are visible, but barely.

This is pretty much the symptoms I had. My film was T-Max 100, exposed in daylight in a Nikon F with a quite accurate built-in meter. The images were very thin and the edge printing was very thin. My clip test proved that it was the developer and not exposure.
I have no idea what the chemical problems is and am skeptical of most explanations.
I mixed the developer with tap water. Chloramines are used locally for disinfecting but they do not usually have any effect on photo chemicals. I use the same water to mix and dilute D-76 with no evident problems. Chloramines can be removed by an activated charcoal filter, like a Brita filter, but not by boiling as Chlorine can. If I was doing color work here I would both boil and filter the water.
Xtol is probably an optimum developer for T-Max, when it works. For pushing developers like T-Max, T-Max RS, Microphen, and DDX are the best. These are similar in working solution, the differences being in the necessities of formulating the liquid concentrates. All deliver slightly greater speed than D-76 but also slightly more grain. Xtol seems to be able to give the same speed but with less grain.
Ryuji Suzuki has some discussion of Xtol type developers on his web site and gives some alternative formulas which have similar performance and appear to be more reliable. However, you must mix them yourself.
I it extrmely unlikely that Kodak will ever fix the problem because they no longer have an R&D department and are no longer interested in "chemical" photography.

---