Re: compact flash card

  • From: "John McCann" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:41:45 -0500

Hi Bill:

Okay, let me speak to the adaptor issue first. The slot on the right-hand
side of the PTR1 is designed to accept a 5GB micro-drive. These micro-drives
are actual "drives", meaning that they have moving heads, a spinning disk,
etc. Now, if you want to use flash card memory (and I would commend that to
be a very good choice), you have to put that flash memory in an adaptor
which then makes the flash card "look" like a micro-drive to the PTR1. A
flash memory card is much smaller than a micro-drive, so the adaptor is just
a metal and plastic contraption that accepts the flash memory card and is
the size of a micro-drive so that it will readily slide into the micro-drive
slot. I got a kingston adaptor for $11.90 from ecost.com.

As far as compact flash memory cards are concerned, the choice between 1GB
or 2GB is just a matter of economics and how much you want to be able to
record on the card and at what quality level. However, you must get a "type
1" compaact flash memory card. If it ain't "type 1", it will not work; i.e.,
won't fit in the adaptor.

HTH!

John