[pskmail] Re: xastir and jPSKmail-0.8.5, an unprecedented solution for HF aprs

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:19:02 +0100 (CET)

Hi John,

I have been working on the client today, got the messaging
mapclient->pskmail->server->xastir going.
The client is now sending an ack to the mapclient as soon as it sees a message,
so that the repeats are cancelled. Repeats have to be handled in the pskmail
client,
as the timing between xastir and pskmail is completely different.
The client now sends 1 message to the nearest server, and those end up on
the internet (I have another copy of xastir running here) and on findu.
I may implement a ;imited repeat queue at a later stage.

Next thing to tackle is the server, as the other way around
(internet->pskmail->map client is
not working at the moment. But I know what to do :)

More work is needed on the server, as the number of message/posit formats has
increased exponentially.

To do this efficiently I will need a priority list, as to cover the complete
functionality of xastir will take months.

What do you want xastir to do?
What should be implemented first?
(**These questions are for everybody**)

What is working so far:
* xastir displays HF beacons from servers and clients which it hears on HF
* xastir displays positions of stations via the ~GETNEAR command
* When the igate is running (at home) xastir displays positions coming through
internet via PSKAPR
* The Igate sends positions it hears on HF to the internet
* Messages sent from xastir are sent on HF by the client and reach their
destination either
on HF via a server, or on the internet (xastir, UIview).

The route from internet through the server is a matter of changing the relevant
APRS input filter,
I will start on that tomorrow.

BTW, xastir is quite picky abt the formats, so it needs lots of
trial/error to find out... unless you want to study the source...