[pskmail] Re: win32 perl and gtk ?

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:34:26 +0100

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for understanding.

I do not question your motives for working for a windows client, its
just the method I am not completely comfortable with. Or, I could be
misinformed but more on that below.

Yesterday I looked into using activestate perl on windows to run the
client. I used the standard client (1.0.3d) and I actually got the
threads up and running and got rid of many problems on the way. The
problems were very easy to fix, for instance there are numerous
references to absolute and relative paths where stuff should be (like
here "if (-e "$ENV{HOME}/.pskmail/.pskmailconf") {") and those are just
a find/replace away from fixing. Other times there were absolute
references to stuff that should be within "/usr/local/share/pskmail" and
thats just as easy to handle. Anyway, I debugged and got it as far as
starting up and running stable without producing errors on its own (but
I didn't interact with it in any way).

That is to me proof that perl+gtk is able to run "native" on, at least,
both operating systems. So, what we could do is to clean the code and
lift its abstraction level so that it works in a more OS general way.
That would give us one code base that runs on several operating systems.
Is that what you are actually doing?

Also, when I did this I started to think that perhaps we should use what
we have as a test version only. Perhaps we should produce a proper UML
foundation and use that to generate code for something thats truly able
to run on several operating systems without modification.
I would argue that object pascal in fpc/lazarus would be a good way to
go, I guess others would suggest java or even c# and mono.

But, the main thing I am looking for is a way to keep the forces united
on one codebase so that what you and I do benefit us both, not the other
way around. If this new client of yours deviates from the original
client then we won't be able to answer questions or support it in any
way. When the beginner starts to ask questions then you will have to
take care of these. Also, as these questions will differ so much I guess
you'll eventually want another channel to handle those, i.e. a new
mailing list... So the fork of client will also result in a fork of
users...

So, I'm all ears as to what you are up to. In what way are you
"translating" ?

73 de Per, sm0rwo