[pskmail] Re: vhf/uhf relays

  • From: pskmail@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 02:40:04 -0400 (EDT)

On 29/Jun/2010 01:49 John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote ..
> Hi Brett,
>
> Pskmail works well over VHF/UHF over FM and I tested this myself.
>
> I just don't know of a permanent server on V/UHF FM but there are no
> reasons not to have one.
>
> A point I noted in my tests: as described in QST a year or so ago, the
> FSK modes (THOR8 and 22, MFSK16 and 32 as used in Pskmail) provide a
> surprising sensitivity in FM, close to the sensitivity under ssb.
>
> This means that exact frequency alignment is not necessary (which can
> be a problem in ssb on VHF and especially in UHF) and this should
> allow Pskmail traffic to go through repeaters quite well too.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> 73, John

Greeting-

Well then since I have an abundance of 2 meter FM equipment and I can only use
one 2 Meter HT at a time I think between job interviews and other things I have
to get done around the house I will dig out one of my older FM rigs, maybe my
OLD Drake TR-22C and set up New York City's first VHF pskmail server.  Of course
who am I kidding.......with the way life tends to go it may take more than this
week.

I also have several older laptops around....mostly with older versions of
FreeBSD installed.  I wonder if anyone has any real world experience on what the
minimal pskmail server needs?  I note that fldigi needs X11, which is
unfortunate as in server service running an X application is pretty much a waste
of CPU cycles.

I was looking at trying to set up a server on something in the Pentium II 100Mhz
range, just because I have several laptops of that era just gathering dust.
They all have sound and the sound works fine for playing/recording ogg audio
files.

73

-Brett
wa3yre