[pskmail] Re: [pskmail] Some newbie questions testing jpskmail-0.4.1.0 client

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:35:00 +0100

Hi Peter, comments below...

> I would appreciate some help (or documentation pointers) with the
> following newbie questions; I am now testing the alpha-release 0.4.1.0
> of jpskmail with fldigi 3.13BL (under Linux Ubuntu 9.10):
>

> 1) No matter which mode or mode profile I choose, jpskmail always turns
> my fldigi into PSK500R mode when sending a ping or a link->connect request.
>
> Is this default PSK500R-setting on purpose and if so why? Can it be avoided?

This setting is on purpose, it reflects the mode the servers listen in when not
connected.
You can change the default mode in the Mode menu
E.g. on 10147 kHz the servers use PSK500R, on 10148 PSK250 is used as default.

Best profile on 10147 is 9 or 8, on 10148 (intermar servers) it is 5 (PSk250).

> 2) When I have just started fldigi and after a while then start
> jpskmail, the red "channelbar" above the cursor in the fldigi waterfall
> becomes light blue (for a while), except at the outer edges. I have
> never seen that before, what does it mean? At the same time, it seems
> that the fldigi is working in AFC mode, as the receiving frequency -
> when no signal is present  - often drops about 30 Hz below the sweet
> spot (I normaly do not use the AFC mode of fldigi).

Pskmail automatically sets AFC on. You can limit the AFC range in the fldigi
config->modems menu.
I normally set the limits to 10 Hz.

> 3) Although a mode profile has been selected in jpskmail, it is still
> possible to select a specific (different) mode by means of the radio
> buttons under the "mode" menu. What is the significance of the mode
> setting there in relation to the selected mode profile?

You can set the mode for APRS and connect requests. This will also be
the default for the client. The client resets the mode to default once per
minute
when you are not connected.

> 4) Who actually should control the TxID, RxID and mode settings of the
> fldigi process before a connect attempt is made? The user or jpskmail?

The TxID, RxID and mode are controlled by the server in connected mode.
It is best to leave them OFF during non-connected times,
to prevent other stations from changing your listening mode.

> 5) When should the mode profile "server default" be used, and what is
> the effects of choosing this mode profile?

server default mode is experimental. and is not used yet.
The servers can set a pair of default modes, this is not done yet..

73,

Rein Pa0R

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com