[pskmail] Re: [pskmail] Re: server install

  • From: Vojtěch Bubník <bubnikv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:01:14 +0100 (CET)

Hi Rein.

> > > In 1200 Bd packet radio the tcp/ip solution does not really work well.
> > > That solution was to transport ip packets via a slow, overhead-prone
> > > ax25 system.
> > > That solution adds considerable overhead to the already ineffective
> > > packet delivery system based on am addressing/routing system that used
> > > ham radio calls (including the possibility to include up to 6
> > > digipeaters in the heading). On 56k systems this is ok, although VERY
> > > ineffective.

I have to agree on that. Abt. 8 years ago I wrote a HTTP proxy over AX.25.
The sources are at http://www.kufr.cz/~ok1iak/projects.php3 ,   axw3.tar.gz
It is extremly old and it has couple of bugs left, but it may be useful as an
inspiration. I was able to browse if the images were off.
I am affraid I have lost the latest version, the version on my web is not the
best I have achieved.

It listens for HTTP requests on the local computer. User needs to point his
browser to this local proxy.
After a HTTP connection is open, the whole request is received, compressed by
gzip and sent to the other side.
On the other side the request is decompressed and a HTTP connection is
established. The response received, compressed by gzip and sent to the other
side, where the page is decompressed and sent to the local web browser.

The proxy creates a thread for each HTTP request/response. The system uses a
single ax.25 connection for all the requests/responses.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK