[pskmail] Re: [pskmail] Other digital modes for PSKMail

  • From: Vojtěch Bubník <bubnikv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:26:22 +0100 (CET)

Hi John.

> I would like to experiment with other modes. Logic tells me that a mode with
> longitudinal FEC of some kind should help since the part affected by the
> strike could be re-built provided it is small enough. What would you propose
> I try first? Olivia or MFSK16 or others? Speed can be reduced, but I would
> like to keep a reasonnable bandwidth (500Hz if possible, and not more than
> 1000Hz).

I would recommend MFSK16 with a RSID sent in front of connect request / connect
response packets. This way both sides would know their exact frequencies. Both
sides would need to have stable enough VFOs though. Oh, pitty, RSID is
currently implemented only in MultiPSK, but Patrick is willing to give away
source code to the developers.

Olivia coding is less effective than MFSK16, but on the other side it has
strong correlation, by which the signal may be localized in frequency.

How about PSK63F or PSK125F? PSK63F is a mode derived from PSK63, but uses
MFSK16 FEC and coding. I will release PSK63F support in PocketDigi soon
hopefully, Dave may port it to flDigi.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK