[pskmail] Re: mandriva cd

  • From: "Per Crusefalk" <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:34:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jason and all,

>   Connecting over radio requires arq and that protocol is a bit difficult
> to handtype.
>
>   That is what I had in mind. I was just wondering if it were possible,
> thought it would be an option just in case there were computer problems
> and you couldn't access pskmail software.

Well, you should always have an extra live cd in your backpack ;-)
Seriously, comparing with a TNC-based service is difficult as they have
the modem in hardware (pactor). All that is handled by the tnc, arq, is
here handled in software. So, you'll need the "modem", which in our case
is gmfsk or fldigi, and the arq controller (pskmail). So, an extra live cd
here and there could be good :-)

> I really enjoy playing with different operatin systems
> especially linux, because there are a lot of options and you are in
> control of it mostly. Just wish I could full get away from windows but
> there are some really good programs for that OS,

I declared my house a windows free zone a few years ago. There are some
windows applications that I use but I run these with wine or xdosemu.
Just to mention a few I use Seaclear for GPS navigation (runs under wine),
ASAPS for predicting hf propagation (xdosemu) and my son has numerous
childrens games running under wine. I tested the new RFSM2400, MIL-STD
188-110A, using wine. But, I am not saying that you should immediately
ditch windows. If it works for you then that is great. I have dual booted
for years, it turned out that I spent lesser and lesser time in windows
and in the end I just didn't use that partition at all so I formated it.
Then my wife got a boatload of viruses on her pc and wondered what she
could do about it. Shes been running Mandriva for years now.

A favourite quote comes to mind:
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds

>   I am  hoping to get my setup operation soon, within a week. It will
> really be nice once I get High speed internet, but I have been waiting
> since September. My punishment for moving from the city out to the
> middle of nowhere!! hihi.

You can easily get addicted to high speed hi hi. We have 13 Mbps at the
moment and thats more than enough for me. But, at times I have to use a
modem and its almost painful, hope you've been punished enough soon...