[pskmail] Re: ft232bm usb-seial device recognition in puppy pskmail distro

  • From: "John Douyere" <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:06:36 +1000

Stephen,

For the ft232BM, this is an FTDI chip and its driver should be
included in the latest kernels. So check with dmesg if it gets
recognised automatically, otherwise try to modprobe usbserial and
unplug/replug, check with dmesg after a few seconds. If still no joy
it may need to load the specific module for the FTDI chip. As I don't
have the PC with me I can't check right now if the module is present
in the system.

As a last resort follow steps 1 to 7 in the following link. This was
for an older version of Puppy:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6693&sid=06150cbd4388e5531a7ea36f8b430d5a

Hope this helps.

By the way I have the Pskmail server on scan on the dial frequencies
as listed in the Pskmail wiki with the exception that the mode is
Thor22 for all frequencies. Please also note that contrary to our
tests on 40M, the mode is always USB even on 80 and 40M. So if you get
Pskmail running you may have try a connect if you want. I have left it
switched to the vertical antenna so 40 and 80M should be OK. 30M won't
tune in at all.

73s, John