[pskmail] Various subjects

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:11:00 +1100

Happy New Year to all.

I was away for a while and discovered a lot of activity on the list.
Great to see the Windows end of line issue resolved.

I also tried the new auto speed features with 9.29 server and 0.4.0.2
client while away camping.

First: Per, regarding the initial link request I personnaly don't find
it useful, especially since the autolink option (which is great) will
request a link at a later stage.

When I get the Pskmail client going, it is generally with a specific
task in mind and the initial link request is an annoyance in this
case. But it depends on the patterns of use of course.

Regarding the auto speed system of the server a few comments from my tests:

1. When I choose the mode combination in the preferences (block size
variable) it seems to also affect the client's block size which is an
issue. Maybe now is the time to separate the two. Otherwise I got
emails sent with 256 bytes block sizes: there were quite a few repeats
to get these blocks through..hihi

2. The PSKR modes, as per Rein's observations, are effective for NVIS
conditions too  (300Km, 80M, morning and day time, static crashed in
abundance) and seem to handle the resulting phase distortions and
selective fading quite well. Not as good a Thor from my observations,
but still very effective.

3. I had to modify the server to get access to slower Thor modes for
the evening. Rein, can we have a table in the pskmailrc.pl file so
that we can configure the mode combination? Different situations mean
different needs.

4. I wished I had an asymetric mode link-up: I could hear the server
better that it could hear me, resulting in speed downgrading which was
only necessary for the client status frames to be received properly.
The data from the server could have stayed at maximum speed. The
penalty was at least a factor a 4 in speed (PSK500R could have been
used instead of PSK125R). In my case where I regularly download web
pages for bush fire alerts and weather forecasts this would be great.

5. Agree that RSID needs improvement in reliability.

6. All in all, this is getting to be a very effective system with many
features and functions. Thanks guys for all your efforts.

All the best,

John