[pskmail] Re: VB:

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:43:24 +1100

Hi Gunnar,

Just to make sure I cover all aspects:

1. There are two "beacon" features in the server: A) the radio beacon to
alert other servers and clients of the presence of the server and B)
Internet beacons over the APRS network to post the position and
the presence of your server on the internet. These internet beacons are
called POSIT beacons.

2. For the radio beacons the variable to adjust inthe pskmailrc.pl files are
the followings:

2.1 The $period variable defines the time in minutes between beacons.
Default is 60 so beacons every hour.

2.2 The @Beaconarray variable contains a sequence of 5 values ( "0" or "1").
Each value represents a minute (since we scan over a 5 minute period) and
tells the server to send or not a beacon for that minute, with the first
value representing the behaviour for minute zero, the next one for minute
one, and so on. This is useful for scanning servers or for "spreading" the
radio beacons around to avoid servers sending beacons over each other.

So for example if you have the following values:

$period=20;
@Beaconarray = qw (1 1 0 0 1);

then the server will send a beacon on the following minutes of each hour:
0,1,4 then 20, 21, 24 then 40, 41, 44.

3. For the POSIT beacons over the internet the variable $posit_time defines
the intervals in minutes between beacons. The default is 10.

Make sure you leave the ";" after the value for each line too.

You also have to stop and restart the server when you make a change in the
pskmailrc.pl file as it is read once at the start of the server.

You have made good progress.

Sorry if this is too detailed.

All the best,

73, John