[pskmail] Use of gpsd

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:52:00 +0200 (CEST)

I have added a checkbox to the Edit->Preferences->Devices tab where you can
choose if you want to use gpsd or direct connection for your gps device.

Gpsd is only interesting for Linux users, and takes the hassle out of gps
connection.
Gpsd is a gps server which enables the use of gps for more than 1 program, e.g.
gpsdrive + pskmail.
There has been a change of protocol since gpsd version 2.90, and the
pskmail client uses the new protocol (the old protocol may still work, as
I have tried to leave it intact, but I cannot test that). Better to use
gpsd 2.90, which has been tested extensively. Or uncheck the 'Use gpsd'
checkbox.
Windows users leave 'Use gpsd' unchecked.

For those who want to test it, there is a new client image at
http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pskmail/alpha. ;
That image also incorporates several changes to the mode settings.
As far as I have been able to test, that image is also compatible to the
intermar servers on 10148.0 (just
set Server Mode to 'Follow RX' and the client mode to PSK250...)

Have fun,

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com