[pskmail] Update PI4TUE

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:09:16 +0200

Upgraded PI4TUE to fldigi-3.11.1

The server was still running with 3.04, because there is an anomaly in
fldigi-3.10,
which eats 95% CPU on the server. 3.04 took only 5% CPU.

So I was eager to install fldigi-3.11.1. It turned out that also 3.11.1 eats
95% CPU, resulting in
problems to decode a PSk250 stream which happens if I try to upload an email
with
an attachment.

Next thing I tried was to run 3.11.1 under Xvfb. CPU load dropped to under 5%,
which means
that there is a serious problem with how fldigi interfaces with the X-server.

I don't get this problem on the desktop, which has a much faster CPU (the CPU
of the server is 2 GHz).
It looks like the problem occurs especially when fldigi runs under a vnc
session.

Anyway, it runs fine now under Xvfb.
To start fldigi under Xvfb do the following in a terminal (use screen as your
display manager):
Xvfb -ac :99
fldigi -display :99 &

fldigi is now running headless and takes only 5% CPU, leading to a much better
decoding of PSK250

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com