[pskmail] URPMI and PSKMAIL

  • From: radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:15:12 -0500

 Hello to the group,

 Thanks Per for the excellent tutorial on URPMI. I appreciate your
work. No, you weren't being "nerdy" in your earlier post- just very
familar with Linux. I had figured out a while ago the a "rpm" was like
a zip file in Windows. The exe and support files are contained in the
rpm as you said. I can imagine the "fun" of chasing dependencies and
realize the help the URPMI tool could be. I just have to work to get my
Linux setup on line and then It should get easier.

 Good luck getting the laptops at auction. There are a lot of used
Thinkpads out there (all of mine were from on-line auctions) and prices
can be very low. One caution- until I can prove or disprove it- The
Thinkpad 600 series supposedly has issues with getting the modem
working on Linux- but then they said that about the soundcard too!

 I was successful in installing the full Mandriva free Linux 2007 (
the full 4 CD install) on another Thinkpad 600E and the kids are
enjoying playing the new games Linux offers. Our 2 kids are in High
School so we are closer to the grandfather thing then you are perhaps!

 Like Jason, I have only a 28k modem connection (live in a rural area)
and try to download mostly at night. It can take several days to
download a CD's  worth of data.  I have been playing with PC's since
the early Vic20 days with DOS and Fortran (1970's)  but Linux is new to
me. Its just a matter of learning all the language and terminology.

 Sorry to hear that fldigi may have a memory leak.  Perhaps the author
can address this if he is informed once it is proven. It would be nice
to have the option of using the higher speeds.

 I will be attempting to get my Linux PC on-line over the next several
days and I'm sure there will be more questions...

 73

 Bob WD8QLY