[pskmail] Re: Third Party Traffic Restrictions ?

  • From: James French <w8iss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:44:03 -0500

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 07:55:32 Andy obrien wrote:
> If I use the PSKMAIL Client to retrieve my email , and that email -for
> example- is from my sister  in New Zealand , a non-ham,...  would that
> breach the USA's restrictions on third party traffic?  The three
> parties would be the PSKMAIL server, my sister  and then me.  Perhaps
> because the third part (me) is a ham, it is OK ?
>
>   It has been a while, I assume the third party restrictions on USA
> hams are still in effect.
>
> Andy K3UK

I would use the rule of thumb that most of the 2m and above Packet
radio BBS' used to quntify that:

1) Would I send that myself?
2) Would I consider it legal to send it?
3) If the country the message is going to is on the ARRL list, check back
    with rules 2 and 3.

As for email, it has been a while, but I would consider rules 1 and 2 to
quantify
it under US rules based on my rule of 'being within the Spirit of the rules and
Laws.'
I can ask for forgiveness if I overlook something or make a mistake, but if I
continue
do it, well...

Also, I would think that the Packet rules about the sender and the BBS station
sending and receiving the message being responsible for the content and legality
also fit in here under US rules.

I have not had to worry about these rules as the Packet network here in
Michigan is
a closed type system with registered users allowed to send and receive messages.
But it does still fall to the sender and BBS operators to make sure that the
messages
are legal last I knew.

James W8ISS