[pskmail] Re: Testing server

  • From: "Frank F." <frank754@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:47:20 -0400

Alan,
I took it offline last night, and will be fairly busy the next week or so (after Monday), but some evenings would be ok. I was using my main rig, an Icom 718, but plan to use an old Yaesu FT-757GX for this once I get the cables sent. Also, I was looking at the frequencies some of the other servers were using, and 40 may be better for more local work. I noticed various frequencies mentioned, so I guess any quiet spot in the mid to upper CW area would be acceptable. I think, at first, rather than leave it running 24/7 it would be best to test it out on a scheduled basis, that is pre-planned times that others would know to look for me on there. So perhaps I could run it each evening that I'm home for a while and see if I get any connects. I'm home between today (after 5) straight through till Monday evening, so I can start it up if you are ready to try. If you check your email often enough, we can set up a good time. As mentioned, I would like to pick a frequency at the time of using it, as there was too much QRM on the ones the other guys mentioned last night. Too bad the pskmail site doesn't list the frequencies of the servers that are not the "regulars".
73, Frank  K4AVL

Alan wrote:
Hi, Frank
I'll give you a try on 20 meters this weekend.
There is plenty of room for another PSKmail server in region 4 on 30
meters.  I take my station down as a PSKmail server when I am sailing
and would sure like to be able to reach a pskmail server from the
Chesapeake Bay as a client.
I took a week long sailing trip two weeks ago and tried to connect from
about 100 miles off shore in the Atlantic, from both ends of the
Chesapeake and from the Delaware Bay but I couldn't see a PSKmail
station.  I did have a QSO with a person in Vancover BC on psk 31 but I
expect my shipboard antenna is not as good as it needs to be.  I was
using a PAR Electronics end-feed dipole raised on a spare halyard and
attached near the portside shrouds.  I expect the mast and shrouds are
distorting my TX field.  I plan to keep working on getting everything
working.  I was hoping that my beacon might have reached EU but it looks
like I didn't make it.  I only had about 20 watts going out.
73 Alan KD4QCL
On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 20:58 -0400, Frank F. wrote:
This is Frank, K4AVL, am testing the server version on Ubuntu Hardy, currently have had the server up for over 24 hours at 14078. I'm located in Asheville NC I chose 20 meters as I have done most of my PSK work there, and when I used the client on 30 meters I was not able to easily connect with any one, perhaps just once and it aborted, and there are 3-4 people from the 4th call district already covering that. I've just about read everything on the site 3-4 times and still it's a bit new to me.
Could someone try my server and see if it can do mail, internet, etc.?
Looking at the log, it seems I have a continuous connection the the Netherlands APRS server (via internet), and that's why I'm showing up on the "users list". I send a beacon every 20 minutes, where can I look to see if that is posted anywhere? I started the server the second time without the & and to see what the stdout messages show as well. Besides what's in the log, I've seen things like "Gating PA0R, Dropping PA0R from record" , also a lot of "no aprs message in file". Are clients automatically able to add their email info to the server they connect to once connected? Also, I'm ignoring any references to gmsk, the autofile and log files are both 0 bytes. In rflinkusers I added myself using user_db.pl I edited pskmailrc.pl to the best of my ability before restarting the server, and am using my outgoing google mail SMTP server, for the time being until I can check if my ISP has SMTP_AUTH. That leads to my last question, if I use pskmail as a client, when sending an email, will is act as if I am on my home network, or do I need to use SMTP_AUTH? Thanks in advance, and please test my server. I'm considering possibly keeping it online, but now its on my main rig, I have another but will have to built a PTT circuit for it if I were to use that (I do have a couple spare antennas, lol) . I'm planning to make a presentation a our next club meeting, and hope to get a few other interested, and perhaps then we may have more servers if I can explain it well enough.
73, Frank