[pskmail] Re: Testing server

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:08:04 +0200

> This is Frank, K4AVL, am testing the server version on Ubuntu Hardy,

Hi Frank, welcome to pskmail...

> Could someone try my server and see if it can do mail, internet, etc.?
> Looking at the log, it seems I have a continuous connection the the
> Netherlands APRS server (via internet), and that's why I'm showing up on
> the "users list". I send a beacon every 20 minutes, where can I look to
> see if that is posted anywhere? I started the server the second time
> without the &

Your server sends an aprs posit message to the aprs backbone every 10 minutes.
You can use aprs to check if your server is still up and running.
Beacons you send do not contain a posit, and they are only showing up in
the pings.log file of other servers that can hear you.
You can choose which aprs server you want to connect with. Please use a
tier2 aprs server, there are also several in the US. Using the one
in the netherlands has the advantage that I can control it :)

> and to see what the stdout messages show as well. Besides what's in the
> log, I've seen things like "Gating PA0R, Dropping PA0R from record" ,
> also a lot of "no aprs message in file".

Whenever a station links to a server the server sends out an aprs message to
the other servers to indicate where the client is connected, so only one server
transmits aprs messages to that client.

> Are clients automatically able to add their email info to the server
> they connect to once connected?

Yes, they use edit->mail options and edit->update server to send their
data to the server. So you should not need to handle that manually.

> Also, I'm ignoring any references to gmsk, the autofile and log files
> are both 0 bytes. In rflinkusers I added myself using user_db.pl
> I edited pskmailrc.pl to the best of my ability before restarting the
> server, and am using my outgoing google mail SMTP server, for the time
> being until I can check if my ISP has SMTP_AUTH.
> That leads to my last question, if I use pskmail as a client, when
> sending an email, will is act as if I am on my home network, or do I
> need to use SMTP_AUTH?

SMTP uses the smtp server of the server, the client does not need to
authenticate.

> Thanks in advance, and please test my server. I'm considering possibly
> keeping it online, but now its on my main rig, I have another but will
> have to built a PTT circuit for it if I were to use that (I do have a
> couple spare antennas, lol) . I'm planning to make a presentation a our
> next club meeting, and hope to get a few other interested, and perhaps
> then we may have more servers if I can explain it well enough.

There are several ppt presentations available which you can use.

Hope you have fun with it...

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com