[pskmail] Re: Test Server suggestions, advice wanted

  • From: Stephen Rector <stefano@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 02:45:00 -0700

Progress report -

I’ve got the pre-populated Puppy Linux distro built with the dev and ham apps
that were provided on the pskmail.org website. I’m running it as a VM using
Parallels. The only hitch that I haven’t solved is minor - Parallels has some
UI tools which help keep the VM from being too intrusive to the host machine.
But these tools require some dev source like gcc and make, on the Linux build.
Although Puppy Linux doesn’t come with these, the dev package on the
pskmail.org site did install them, but the Parallels tool installer script
still can’t find them. It’ a shell script, but I can’t decode what it’s doing.

But that’s minor. The OS and the applications run fine. Later today I’ll have
some hardware to mate it with.

In the long run, I may want to run the server on a more conventional flavor of
linux that plays better as a VM, but for now we’ll go with this pre-fab build
that has been kindly provided to help us.

Steve