[pskmail] Test Server suggestions, advice wanted

  • From: Stephen Rector <stefano@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 19:00:11 -0700

Hi All:

I’m fairly new to PSKmail, but not to radio, HF digital or the computer end of
things.

We’re shy of servers in the US. This weekend I want to set up a test server
with the goal of ultimately placing one of my radios in full-time service as a
PSKmail server. Since I have a computer active 24/7 at home, this is not much
of a burden, save for the extra antenna.

The computer is an iMac running the latest OS-X/unix. I have the developer
tools for this OS and a directory for the perl-based build system described at
http://fink.sourceforge.net. For getting started, I’m thinking your PuppyLinux
live iso can be used to build a VM where the server would operate. This seems
to be a tested environment for the PSKmail server and you have packaged up a
suite of useful applications to install with it - It’s also (I *think*) an easy
way to run two versions of FLdigi at the same time: one for my station on the
Mac and one on the VM for the server.

I’m open to any suggestions or advice from people who have already gone through
this exercise on the list - especially advice about the software and setup. My
portable client for the testing will be a KX3 running 100mW or so. When the
server is put in service, that radio will be an Elecraft K2/100 running 30W to
a sloping nonresonant wire, remotely tuned.

Also, is there somewhere where users need to register to enroll on the list of
clients that the servers aggregate? Or is that accomplished by a contact over
the air? I have yet to make a full email transaction with the nearest server to
me (KB1NCJ), although I had an extended connection with it one evening.

Comments welcome

Thanks

Steve NU7B