[pskmail] Re: Short Range Operation on 10.148mhz?

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:06:08 +1100

Hello,

Just some feedback on 2M PSKmail operations. I did some tests last year and
overall it was a success. The only issue I had was with the frequency
inaccuracy of the rigs. I have an FT-817 and FT-857 and the difference (I
don't have the high stability option in) was as much as 110Hz. Enough to be
outside the capture range of the server's Fldigi. This was not apparent at
home but was when mobile, probably due to the differences in temperature.

Thor22 was better at capturing the signal due to that factor. But otherwise
the PSK modes should be great in vhf due to the lack of QRM. I had to try
connecting with the dial 50Hz below and above the target frequency in SSB.

FM of course will not have this issue but I didn't try.

73s, John (VK2ETA)