[pskmail] Re: Server Running

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 05:06:48 +1000

Hi Glenn,

Congratulations and welcome to the "Pskmail server club".

Big ear is a concept that is implemented in EU only at present. It allows
several servers to cooperate over the internet for the reception of data in
a Pskmail session.

The TXing still rests with the connected server.

The decision by the software to participate or not and if yes to which
Bigear server is determined by the GPS coordinates in the
prskmailrc.plfile in the .pskmail directory.

So the solution is to check that your coordinates are at least
approximately correct.

In another email you mention camping sites with no or poor cell phone
coverage. Well I am in that situation quite regularly and that lead to the
development of the Android version of Pskmail.

So if you have a phone or tablet running Android you can try that too. It
works well even with audio coupling using modes like Thor22 or MFSK32 and
there are a number of ways too build interfaces too.

Also, now that your server is running I would encourage you to get a login
into the pskmail wiki and update the server list page.

That way users can test and use your server.

Good work Glenn, enjoy.

73, John