[pskmail] Re: Server Question

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:32:29 +0200

Hi Ed,

There are currently two rows in pskmailrc.pl that control the beacon,
only one of them work (and that's my fault). That part looks like:
$Beaconminute = 3;              # Not currently used, to be removed
@Beaconarray = qw (1 0 0 0 0);   # Experimental, controls beacon
behaviour during minute 0-4

Beaconminute is the old way to control the beacon, it sets a minute
during the hour (actually during minute 0-4) for the beacon. This way
there is only one beacon per hour. I let this command stay in the file
but I have commented out all use of it so it does nothing. I kept it
just to make it easy to go back if the new scheme would not work out.

Beaconarray is what I added and I did that as I run a scanning server.
The old way would just produce one beacon per hour, that meant I could
just have a beacon on one of the fq in the scan. When I was going to
Cyprus I wanted to have beacons on 10, 14 and 18 MHz every hour (to
check propagation) and that meant I had to come up with a new way to
control the beacon.
So, @Beaconarray = qw (1 0 0 0 0);, sets beacon on or off during minutes
0-4. The example sets a beacon on minute 0 only, for all the minutes I
would set (1 1 1 1 1) and so on.

The only way to get a beacon every minute, right now, is to use a
separate cron job that launches beacon.pl every minute. Its easy to do
so, just set up crontab (using "crontab -e" and enter a line that
launches it every minute, check "man crontab" for help).

We could of course change the beacon routine in the server. What would
the demands for a changed beacon routine be?

73 de Per, sm0rwo