[pskmail] Re: Server Mode Negotiation

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 22:00:11 +0200 (CEST)

Stu,

I think you misunderstand a few things.

In pskmail the modes are not set in fldigi. Leave them alone.
In the latest issue of server and client, things have been made extremely simple:

* The client sets the mode table with Prefs->edit->Modes. If you want
to use only 1 mode, you set one mode. This mode is sent to the server on connect.
Also, if there is only 1 mode in the table, the default mode is set to that mode.
Leave the Modes screen with 'OK'

* The server controls the automatic mode changing. If there is only
1 mode in the mode table it can not change it to something else..

If you don't know how to set the modes on the client,
pse look at the video on youtube again...
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReinPA0R#p/a/u/0/z_CF5YHt-CU

I have just been testing this on PI4TUE, and it worked.
client 1.4b8, server 1.4.12

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com

On 10/6/2011 7:51 PM, John Douyere wrote:
Hi Stu,

Thanks. I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I set both the RX and TX modes in fldigi on both ends to PSK250R. I noticed a couple of things.

1) in the client, preferences/edit/mode - I cleared all the checkboxes except PSK250R. Then selected the default mode from the pull down to psk250r. Pressed OK, then preferences/save. When I go back into the form, the settings were not saved. However, I finally figured out, setting the check boxes and then pressing the 'Prepare def.' somehow saves the setting. This is not an intuitive label for the button. It should be something like 'Save Settings'. Or get rid of the button and rely on Preferences/Save.

2) The 'Mode' menu (top of the screen) doesn't seem to check the default mode defined in preferences/edit/mode. After I went through he steps of #1, I checked the Mode selection and it was still set at PSK500R, which is where I left it. I would expect it to change, but maybe not. So I changed it to PSK250R and tried a connect. The client attempted a connect at PSK250R. After I disconnected, I tried changing the Mode to PSK500R. The message at the bottom of the client screen said: "Switching modem to PSK500R" and the light green text to the right of the message changed to "PSK500R". However, when I tried to connect, the mode was still PSK250R. I wouldn't expect the transmit mode to change because I defined the allowable modes in Preferences/Edit/Mode, but clearly the Mode menu selection should NOT allow me to try PSK500R.

3) I selected PSK250R for both the RX and TX modes in fldigi on the server, as I said in #1. However, the server still tried to change modes and somehow put fldigi into a mode other than PSK250R. Maybe the commands issued by pskmail_server override the fldigi settings? We really need a way to disable the mode changes in pskmail_server and configure one mode. With all the inconsistent behavior, it's really hard to tell if one mode is better than the other.

4) I manually connected between two stations using fldigi and the macros, as suggested by NNN0LES. I was able to make good connections on all the modes. However, I noticed something odd. The macro was treated differently depending on the mode selected in FLDIGI. I used the macro:

<TX>the quick brown fox.<RX>

When I selected psk250 or another psk mode, the 'period' would not transmit. That is, it left of the last character. However, with MFSK32, the period did transmit. In order to get the period to transmit under PSK mode, I had to change the macro to read:

<TX>the quick brown fox.
<RX>

that is, put the <RX> tag on the next line down.

This looks like a fldigi bug and a very subtle one, too.

5) Getting mail is confusing. There are two different ways to 'get mail'. I think because there are two different kinds of mail; local and via a POP connection to an external mail server. Email tab/QTC vs. Info/Get messages. I think there should be one type of 'get mail' process. Since the server is installed on a linux box, we have all the various smtp, imap/pop, fetchmail programs available. It would be good to set up local accounts and let those programs transfer mail to/from external e-mail accounts. That way, the user only has one way to get mail and doesn't need to make a distinction between two mail systems. I may be confused on the purpose of these different accounts, but that's what I'm trying to test. As soon as I clear the radio/mode hurdle. ;)

I hope we can get a configuration item to lock the server into a single mode. It would really be helpful in my testing.

Thanks for your help.

Stu2
W7IY
NNN0EMG
I forgot to add: if you want to lock your server on one mode regardless of what the client(s) wants, then disable the RSID receive in Fldigi.

In Fldigi go to configure / IDs / Receive Modes button / Clear all (or deselect the ones you don't want).

That way Fldigi will NOT change mode and the server will not be notified of the received mode and therefore will stay in the current Fldigi mode.

Regards,

John

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM, John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Stu,

If you create a mode table made-up of one mode only (in the preference option of the client), the server should stay on that mode.

Regards,

John

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Stu2 <stu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a way to configure the server to stop negotiating different modes and baud rates with the client? For example, I would like to lock the server to PSK500R and only allow clients to connect with that particular mode. If the server or client miss the TXID (or whatever the speed flag is), then things get out of sync and the connection can't recover.

I would like to use a single mode to eliminate some of the variables and explore the other features of pskmail. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to develop a solid link. I may even have a radio problem, but I can't tell.

Version 1.4.12 seemed to help, but it immediately starts out with an asymmetrical mode configuration. Same problem. A missed mode ID means things get out of sync. If the client can connect at one mode, then the entire communication should support the mode.

Thanks.

Stu
W7IY
NNN0EMG