[pskmail] Re: Server & Hamlib Question....

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:41:09 +0200

Normally you would use Ctrl-C, no sudo necessary as the program runs in user
mode.

> > > 2)  When it comes out of pause (or stop if that is better) will it
> > > automatically
> > > set the frequency of the rig?  What about mode and other settings?
> >

> > If scanning is set the Mode/frequency will be set the next full minute.
> I assume it won't transmit until a connection is initiated by a client.

That is right, unless it sends a beacon.

> > > 3)  What kind of modulation is the beacon using?  PSK125 or CW?  In
> > > everyday operation,
> > > how important is it to have a beacon?  I don't really want to QRM other
> > > stations, and
> > > operation is initially planned for 20 meters which is pretty crowded.
> > >
> > The only reason for the beacon is for the users to check propagation and
> > finding the
> > exact frequency. That is why the beacon period is set to 1 hour at the
> > moment.
> It probably won't matter in our case, as our client is using batteries
> charged by solar cells, and so won't leave his rig on, but I'm curious
> if a client leaves his rig and computer on, will it log when the beacons
> were heard?

Yes, the beacons contain the TOD.

> > > 4)  What frequencies are recommended?  Has there been any coordination of
> > > this?
> > >
> > We are trying to coordinate this with the ALE (HFLINK) people, so far only
> > the 30 meters band frequencies have been coordinated.
> > Maybe 14148 would be good?
> Are any of the ALE people using the same protocol?

Not yet :-)

> > > 5)  Is there a good way to run outgoing messages through a human filter?
> > > We don't
> > > want spam going out and there are some rules regarding message content
> > > here in the US
> > > anyway.
> >
> > The server logs all traffic (server.log).
> It seems like inappropriate messages could get through, and even be
> logged for the FCC to supina.  :-)  I suppose I could have incoming mail
> sent to me, and I could forward it on to a secret email address.  Is
> there a better way?

You could wget the log files periodically and filter the mail.

> I noted your previous note about STANAG 4285.  I'm sure you must have
> seen Charles Brain's experiments with it.
> http://www.chbrain.dircon.co.uk/hfemail.html  Is what you are working on
> going to be legal in the US?

We don't know yet how to use this with PSKmail, as it is a broadband system
which has to use SSB channels.
I am working on PSK250 at the moment.

> PSKMail is a great thing!  Thanks so much for making it a reality.

Thank my XYL for letting me -)

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com