[pskmail] Re: Server - Client testing

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:57:48 +0100 (CET)

On server 1.4.12 you can insert '$lastframe = length($5);' at line 2242 of /usr/local/share/pskmail_server/arq.pm, that will initialize the
variable, and the error message will go away... This will be in the next version of the server.

The pskmail protocol already automatically reduces the block size when a repeat occurs, the
maximum block sizes used are 16, 32 and 64 characters.
Maybe we should use only 8 characters per block for THOR8, which is very long winded...
But then you get 100% overhead...
It may be better to look for a mode which is even more robust than THO8...

Hi
All morning I have been playing with PSKmail.

So, I did upgraded my jPSKmail to 1.4b7 - that was easy thanks to precise instructions.

Now I have no problem connecting to my server in PSK250 mode, that is recognized by server.

 I still get error :

Use of uninitialized value $lengthlastframe in numeric gt (>) at /usr/local/share/pskmail_server/arq.pm line 4925

I tirtured my client - server many times.

I did 4 trials to see how modes are switching depending on condition. While connected I simply turn server's radio off and waited until mode deteriorated to MFSK32 and switched radio on again. Things worked as expected. One point, maybe, can we make blocks smaller while in slower modes, I understand that it will make communication slower, but also give a chance to upgrade the mode if there is a chance.

Next I tried send some mails.
Sending mails from client to server both without attachment and with it worked well, but receiving mails from server with compressed OTA eneble created problem. Email without attachment ended up being empty ( From NULL, Subject NULL, Date , Size 85) - that happened numerous times . When I disable OTA I was able to receive mail with no trouble,
While receiving mail with attachment and OTA the same story, null in subject, From, and not decompressed text in the body of email. So I guess the problem with decompression on client side?? Any idea how to fixed this ??

Also twice observed situation when server and client got out of synch while sending file from client to server. I am thinking is  that server i is transmiting RSID while client is sending a file so is not able to receive it and react. I guess adjusting squelch may help.

Thanks all of you for help,
Appreciated

Robert
KB2PNM