[pskmail] Re: Seamless integration of Pskmail Server with Windows

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 11:12:19 +1000

Hi Seli,

I posted this in the pskmail list so that other people could refer to it too
since these are genuine issues for a Pskmail server.

Great progress, you are almost there.

First for the serial port. With the default configuration, in C:\Program
Files\andLinux\ directory there is a file called settings.txt which defines
among other things the devices that the Linux kernel connects to at start
up.

To connect ttys0 to com4 in Windows add  the following line at the bottom of
the setting.txt file mentioned above:

ttys0=COM4,"BAUD=115200 PARITY=n DATA=8 STOP=1 dtr=on rts=on"

Of course adjust the BAUD and DATA (I suspect PARITY could be set too if not
default) to whatever values you use for your rig.

After changes, save and stop then restart andLinux (from the
startmenu/andLinux program list).

The limitations are:

a. The speed is fixed and cannot be changed inside Linux.

b. The control signals are fixed: here both RTS and DTR are permanently set
to ON. Therefore it is not possible to use TX switching via these control
signals. But I don't think it is an issue in your case.

Also I haven't tried this myself so it could be ttyS0 instead of ttys0. Try
both please.

Note that I haven't used /dev/ttyS3 since it does not seem to be defined in
the /dev directory of andLinux.

Now for the sound card.

It is easy to allocate a second sound card to the Linux application.

We are back to the default.pa file located by default in the C:\Program
Files\andLinux\pulseaudio\ directory.

In that file that you open with a text editor (notepad or other in Windows),
find the line which says:

load-module module-waveout record=0

Now change that line by adding the device= statement like so:

load-module module-waveout device=1 record=0

Save the file and restart windows.

Here I assume that you have only two sound devices in your windows system.
If you have more than two then the number after the device= could be 2,3,4
etc... for your second sound card. With device=0 being the primary sound
card of your system which is the default.

You may have to experiment with different values and restart windows every
time unfortunately since it needs to restart all drivers for the new
configuration to be active.

Also note that you may (not likely but possible) get a different device
number if your 2nd audio device is available at windows startup or plugged
in later on like for a USB sound card.

So when starting Windows ensure that all your sound devices - if they are
removable like a USB device for example - are plugged in. Otherwise you will
get a different device number.

Good luck and let us know how you are going.

73s, John