[pskmail] Re: RSID sensitivity

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:40:03 +0100

> Has anyone looked at MT63 or Olivia for weak signal comparisons?
> Mario
> WO5O

I have tried to do tests with both Olivia and MT63, both modes are not
compatible with PSKmail.

* Olivia does not support the character set required for the pskmail protocol,
it does not transfer the <SOH> and <EOT> ascii characters so we cannot use it.

* MT63 modems are centered around 700 Hz, which means they can not be combined
with
PSK modems, which use filters centered at 1000 Hz or 1500 Hz, depending on the
rigs used.
The IC756 at PI4TUE e.g. has a fixed passband of 500 Hz centered on 1500 Hz,
which means that
an MT63 signal will not pass.

The MFSK, THOR and PSKxxxR modes are all compatible with the common filters, so
they can be
combined into several mode profiles for the pskmail multispeed protocol.
In our experience these 3 basic modes have everything we need for pskmail. They
cover
high sensitivity (MFSK32, PSK125R), high speed (PSK500) and resistance against
QRN/QRM (THOR22).

http://www.pskmail.com